Scholars Certificate Program
A custom pathway to reach beyond traditional learning
The Scholars Certificate Program (SCP) at Friends School of Baltimore provides students with the opportunity to explore an area of academic interest in ways that extend beyond the traditional bounds of any single course of study or academic department.
Each certificate is a “bundle” of different learning experiences including course work, club involvement, speaker series’, independent studies, internships, and/or other capstone project(s) that are related by theme or area of interest and that, together, form a rich ensemble. Participation in this voluntary program earns students a transcript designation for their sustained participation and effort during their Upper School years.
Certificates offered include STEAM; Sustainability; Renaissance Scholars; Global Studies; Diversity, Equity, and Social Justice; Artistic Expression; Pathway to Leadership; Public Health; Quakerism, Baltimore Urban Immersion and Engagement, Entrepreneurship, Literary Scholar Certificate and Design Your Own Certificate.
Important and distinguishing elements of the SCP include:
- Enhanced student autonomy and a greater sense of purpose in the learning process
- Opportunity to bring cohesion and coherence to a range of related experiences
- Real-world application of knowledge and skills
Reflection and self-knowledge
- Unique learning experience in both scope and method, drawing upon multiple intelligences
- Deep connection to the community beyond our campus
- Focus on interdisciplinary thinking and learning
- Opportunity to craft a path that reflects students’ passions, talents, and callings.
The Scholars Certificate Program is one of the many ways that Friends School prepares students for the future — and any future — by inspiring innovation, and instilling the confidence to challenge, inquire and take action.
SCP Core Components:
Sharing with the School Community
Portfolio with Reflections